When it comes to travel, there is always something to see. From Kenya to the frozen fields of Alaska, the world is full of beautiful destinations. For an intrepid traveler, discovering new destinations might seem impossible, but you might be surprised at how many spectacular places you can visit. Here are the top holiday destinations of 2017 for international fun.
10. SAN FRANCISCO, CA, USA
To start off the top holiday destinations list we’ve chosen San Francisco, “The City by the Bay”. Also called “The Golden City” due to its golden sunsets and rolling hills of shimmering gold, both inside and out, San Francisco is a spectacular travel destination. Enjoy the views from the Golden Gate Bridge, visit notorious Alcatraz or bask in the cultural and artistic diversity in the heart of the town. As a result, San Francisco is sure to keep you entertained for days. However, plan your trip in advance, as the city can be quite expensive.
- Popular Attractions: Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Palace of Fine Arts, Pier 39, Lombard Street, The Castro, Coit Tower.
- Best Season: Fall months are the best for visiting San Francisco. However, if you’re looking to escape the summer heat, this is the city for you.
9. SRI LANKA
Sri Lanka has become one of the most appealing travel destinations in the world. And it shouldn’t come as a surprise because Sri Lanka is full of colorful towns, pristine beaches, and top notch luxury resorts. The strongest draw of this pick for the top holiday destinations of 2017 is the sandy coastline, in the proximity of Bentota. You should also visit the Wilpattu National Park which is home to elephants, leopards and different species of exotic animals.
- Popular Attractions: Golden Cave Temple, Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic, World Buddhist Museum, Citadel of Sigiriya, Royal Botanical Gardens, Bentota Beach, Wilpattu National Park, Adam’s Peak.
- Best Season: Sri Lanka’s seasons are a bit complex. To enjoy your time on the west and south coasts and in the hill country, consider going in the period between December and March. While the east coast is infinitely more pleasant from April to September.
8. TORONTO, CANADA
Toronto is the most populated city in Canada and the provincial capital of Ontario. It has undergone serious changes in the past few years, which have helped develop many fashionable restaurants, clubs and pubs. So visit the Hockey Hall of Fame, the famous CN Tower, the Distillery Historic District or the Toronto Zoo. Furthermore, take in the view from Lake Ontario or discover the Royal Ontario Museum, to make the best of your trip in this city.
- Popular Attractions: CN Tower, Distillery Historic District, Toronto Zoo, Hockey Hall of Fame, Royal Ontario Museum, Lake Ontario, Ripley’s Aquarium Of Canada, High Park.
- Best Season: The best times to visit would be between mid-March and mid-June or between August to early November. However, if lower temperatures aren’t your thing, you can always visit during the brief summer months.
7. ST. VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES
St. Vincent and the Grenadines is formed from a string of 32 islands located south of St. Lucia, in the Carribean. It is a destination for luxury travel and people who are in search of pampering and sumptuous resorts. You can also at times spot many celebs like Mick Jagger and Tommy Hilfiger in Mustique. The pristine beaches and bustling bays are the main attractions of this entry on the top holiday destinations list.
- Popular Attractions: Dark View Falls, Firefly Plantation Bequia, Botanical Gardens, Happy Island, Fort Charlotte, Salt Whistle Bay, Old Hegg Turtle Sanctuary, Macaroni Beach, Princess Margaret Beach.
- Best Season: The best time to visit St. Vincent and the Grenadines is between December and April when the weather is warm and dry. However, this is also the most tourist heavy period and hotel prices soar.
6. GUIMARAES, PORTUGAL
Guimaraes is one of the oldest cities in Portugal, which offers a great opportunity for travelers to immerse in the local history and culture of the country. Although it is an old tourist attraction, it is filled with youthful energy and creative culture which make it one of the most desirable holiday destinations. The city offers a wide array of cultural events, theater, music and festivals.
- Popular Attractions: Centro Historico de Guimaraes, Largo da Oliveira Square, Guimaraes Castle, Palace of the Dukes of Bragança, Nossa Senhora da Oliveira Monastery, Penha Hill, Rua de Santa Maria, City Hall.
- Best Season: Any season is a good season to visit Guimaraes, but check the weather regularly before your visit and pack accordingly.
5. COSTA NAVARINO, GREECE
Enjoy alluring landscapes of olive groves, indigenous trees and secluded golfs located next to crystal clear waters. Costa Navarino is also the perfect place for people who wish to relax and enjoy the beautiful beaches of Greece. Indulge in spa treatments, play golf and explore the marine wildlife of the Ionian Sea.
- Popular Attractions: Methoni Castle, Voidokilia Beach, Nestor’s Cave, Ancient Messene, Neokastro Castle, Olympia Site, Polilimnio Waterfalls, Proti Island.
- Best Season: Costa Navarino’s weather is perfect for lounging on the beach between June and August. However, if you’re going mostly for sightseeing, consider springtime or autumn months.
Xishuangbanna is situated in the southernmost part of China. It was originally called “the twelve thousand rice fields” because of its fertile earth, tropical vegetation and incredible biodiversity. One of the top holiday destinations among domestic tourists, it is home to the Wild Elephant Valley, incredible pagodas and pavilions, the Tropical Botanical Garden and Nature Reserve.
- Popular Attractions: Manfeilong Pagodas, Wild Elephant Valley, Tropical Botanical Garden, Xishuangbanna Tropical Nature Reserve.
- Best Season: Being part of the tropical rainforest climate, Xishuangbanna is pleasant year round and has only wet and dry seasons. While the absolute best time to visit is between October and June.
Bahia is one of the 26 states of Brazil, in the northeastern part of the country, near the Atlantic coast. It is the 2nd most important touristic center in the country with beautiful natural landscapes, tasty traditional dishes and valuable colonial architecture.
- Popular Attractions: Fumaca Falls, Itaipava Arena Fonte Nova, Parque Nacional da Chapada Diamantina, Buracao Falls, Sao Francisco Church and Convent, Pelourinho, Chapada Diamantina Park.
- Best Season: Bahia is pleasant year round, but between April and June it rains a lot and humidity levels can go very high.
2. ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA
You have yet to see top holiday destinations quite like St. Petersburg. Due to being built from the ground up under the direct guidance of Tsar Peter the Great, the city is a wonderful combination of traditional Russian and Germanic architecture. You can clearly see both influences throughout the city, as the city shares the same heritage as its founding Tsar. Walk down Nevsky Prospekt, visit the myriad of palaces, The Hermitage or the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood. Additionally, don’t forget to taste the fresh caviar or to sink your teeth into local cuisine.
- Popular Attractions: The Hermitage and Winter Palace, Nevsky Prospekt, Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood, Mariinsky Theatre, Peterhof Palace, Peter & Paul Fortress and Cathedral, Tsarskoye Selo, Faberge Museum, State Russian Museum, Pushkin Museum, St. Isaac’s Cathedral & Colonnade.
- Best Season: Late spring to early autumn is the best period for extensive sightseeing and to catch the White Nights period, exclusive to St. Petersburg. On the other hand, from October to mid-April you can experience a true Russian winter, with the winter festival and holiday celebrations taking over the city. Just remember to pack your thickest coats.
1. HAMBURG, GERMANY
Hamburg has always been a cosmopolitan city, also known as the “Gateway to the World”. It is the country’s biggest port, a dynamic and multicultural city. Additionally, the city is well-renowned for its hedonistic red-light district and beautiful medieval architecture. The city center is also full of attractions, pubs and bars which are definitely worth the visit.
- Popular Attractions: Miniatur Wunderland, Port of Hamburg, Church of St. Michael, Town Hall, Hamburg Zoo, International Maritime Museum, Old Botanical Gardens, Kunsthalle Hamburg, Altona Museum, Ohlsdorf Cemetery.
- Best Season: The months between May and October are the warmest and attract the most tourists. While late Autumn to Spring months have fewer tourists coming in.
So what are you still waiting for? Pack your bags and prepare for a memorable vacation in one of these top holiday destinations of 2017. Also, remember to take into consideration our tips if you’re planning to travel with your children.